Thursday, February 7, 2008

Calvera’s Last Stand

Calvera looks across the two hundred feet of open land between him and the Gnomish Hamlet.
They’ve built defensive walls, but not strong enough to keep his warriors out.
He calls to the Gnomes inside, “Give me back my sons and I promise you a quick death!”
That’s when he sees them. Humans, Dwarves and that annoying Halfling.
“I should have guessed. When my men didn't come back, I should have guessed. How many of you did they hire?”
Although keeping out of easy crossbow shots, Calvera counts seven.
Seven against sixty? Calvera allows himself a tight smile.
Even he is surprised when his youngest son Rojo is brought out.
Despite having his hands tied behind his back, Rojo runs forward to join his father, only to be shot in the back by one of their archers.
Calvera roars as Rojo collapses and orders his men to attack.
The battle is furious. But as fast as his Orcs advance, they are picked off by crossbow bolts and arrows. Scores die before they even reach the first wall. The Worgs fall to swords and axes and his Giant and Ogres are held fast by snide sorcery.
His remaining sons, Gillom and Pulford face their enemies honourably but also fall to cowardly attacks.
Calvera screams as he himself lashes out at the Dwarves.
Dwarven war axes finally silence the Orc who in his prime had lead hundreds.

5 comments:

Insanodag said...

Sweet success, one more line of orcish chieftains wiped out. It warms my heart.

RoboGeek said...

Almost makes me feel sad.

Not.

Hedzor said...

What do you call 80 Slaughtered Orcs?

A good start.

TieDye said...

Calvera: Last month we were in San Juan. Rich town, much blessed by God. Big church. Not like here - little church, priest comes twice a year. BIG one. You'd think we'd find gold candlesticks. Poor box filled to overflowing. Do you know what we found? Brass candlesticks. Almost nothing in the poor box.

Sidekick: But we took it anyway.

Calvera: I KNOW we took it anyway. I'm trying to show him how little religion some people now have.

Hedzor said...

Calvera: "Generosity... that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra, and then they hire these men to make trouble. It shows you, sooner or later, you must answer for every good deed."